Posted by: Henness & Haight

Getting in a car accident is never ideal, and it can be additionally stressful when you or the other driver are in a rental car. Whether or not you are at fault, a rental car accident can add complications with insurance that are generally not present in an accident. Each state has different laws, so it is good to consult with an accident injury attorney from the state where the accident occurred.

I got in an accident in Las Vegas and do not live in Nevada. What do I do?

It can be incredibly stressful to get in an accident hundreds or thousands of miles away from home. Fortunately, most auto insurance policies cover policyholders in all 50 states and U.S. territories.

Nevada personal injury law states that accident victims are entitled to compensation if they are not more than 50 percent at fault. Thus, whoever is at fault in an accident will be responsible for paying injuries and damages. If there are multiple parties at fault, awarded compensation is adjusted accordingly.

Ensure you keep your permanent residence information current with your insurance company so they do not have an excuse to cancel coverage. If your insurance adjuster hesitates or refuses to pay a car accident claim because it occurred in a different state than where you reside, speak with an accident lawyer to understand your rights. They may be acting in bad faith and withholding rightful payment.

I am from Nevada but got in an accident with someone out of state. What do I do?

If you are from the Las Vegas area and are involved in an accident with someone out of state, whoever caused the accident will still be responsible for paying damages. Thus, if someone out of state hits you, they will still be held liable, and their insurance will be responsible for paying compensation.

If the party at fault refuses to pay or only pays a partial amount after a claim is filed, your case may be filed in two separate states—Nevada and the state the defendant is from. Consult with a reputable accident law firm if this is the case to ensure that all of the complexities of an out-of-state accident case are taken care of.

I was hit by a driver in a rental car. What now?

If a driver hits you in a rental car, multiple insurance companies, including the rental company’s insurance, will likely be involved. It can be additionally complicated if the driver has returned home before you have fully recovered from the accident. You should immediately discuss your case with a trusted accident lawyer—even before reporting the accident to your insurance company. Most reputable firms offer free consultation and a no-win, no-fee policy so you can get legal advice for your case without paying upfront.

It’s good to note that in Nevada law, the rental car company may also be liable, even if the driver did not purchase additional insurance. Some major credit card companies also offer property damage liability coverage for cardholders who rent a car with their credit card, another potential compensation source.

My rental car was hit by another driver. What should I do?

If you are hit while driving a rental car, the party at fault will be responsible for paying for damages. You can usually locate your car insurance in the glove compartment, or the rental company will give it to you before driving. The rental company may be liable to pay some damages if you purchased additional insurance from them.

Hire a trusted rental car accident attorney in Las Vegas

Henness & Haight are experienced accident injury attorneys who have served the Las Vegas area for over 23 years. We diligently recover losses, receive maximum compensation for victims in rental car accidents, truck accidents, and more, and provide quality legal representation. We work quickly and efficiently, operate on a no-win, no-fee basis, and will not get paid unless you recover a fair verdict or settlement. Call us today for a free consultation.