A slip and fall accident can happen on just about any surface that is wet, slippery or poorly maintained, and they often lead to serious injuries that can require costly medical care.
When a business owner or government entity fails to provide safe conditions that are free from preventable harm, the owner may be held liable for any injuries sustained on their property. This is considered premises liability law, an area of law in which our Las Vegas slip and fall attorneys are well-versed.
We have decades of experience helping injury victims recover the maximum amount of compensation they are entitled to after an unexpected accident caused by another’s negligence or carelessness.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Fall accidents are commonly generalized into four categories based on the type of hazard that caused the accident. These include:
- Slip and fall – This occurs in situations where a person slips on a wet or slippery floor and falls.
- Step and fall – This type of accident occurs when a person steps into an unexpected hole or opening in the ground.
- Stump and fall – A person may also fall when they find an unexpected hazard in their path.
- Trip and fall – A trip can occur when a person encounters a foreign object that is obstructing their path.
All of these accidents can be caused by a variety of circumstances that are generally the result of negligence on behalf of the property owner. Common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Unmarked hazards, such as a wet surface or uneven floor
- Damaged or uneven walkways, paths, staircases or sidewalks
- Poorly lit walkways or sidewalks
- Failure to keep walkways clear of debris or hazards such as snow, ice, leaves or branches
- Building code violations
- Understaffed nursing homes and assisted living facilities
If you or someone you love has been injured in a hotel, casino, parking lot, store or workplace, and if you believe the owner should have corrected the hazard that caused your injuries, you may be entitled to seek compensation.
Our Las Vegas slip and fall attorneys will investigate your claim to determine who should be held liable and how we can best hold them accountable for their actions.
Elements of a Successful Claim
Nevada personal injury law requires an injury victim to prove the defendant, or responsible party, was negligent and that their negligence led directly to the victim’s injuries.
To do this, our attorneys will demonstrate that the property owner knew or should have known about a hazard on their property and did not take appropriate actions to eliminate the risk within a reasonable amount of time.
Our Las Vegas slip and fall attorneys will help build a strong case that demonstrates an owner’s negligence by:
- Gathering evidence from the accident scene
- Taking photos of your injuries
- Reviewing your medical records
- Questioning witnesses
- Reviewing the accident report
- Investigating if the owner has a history of complaints or injuries
- Determining if there are building code violations
It is important to note, however, that Nevada is a comparative fault state, which means the percentage of fault a victim had in causing the accident will diminish their ability to recover maximum compensation, or any compensation at all.
If the circumstances surrounding the accident indicate that the victim was not paying attention or did not attempt to avoid an obvious hazard, the amount of compensation they will be able to recover will be greatly diminished.
Our Las Vegas slip and fall attorneys are well-versed in the intricacies of premises liability law and are experienced in building successful cases on behalf of our clients. We will work tirelessly to help ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
After an injury, you need an experienced Las Vegas slip and fall attorney by your side who is committed to defending your rights and fighting for your best interests.
At Henness & Haight, we put our clients first and are dedicated to helping people regain their lives through excellence in legal representation and client services. We will do everything in our power to help you recover maximum compensation after an unexpected accident.
Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with our Las Vegas slip and fall attorneys today to learn more about your legal options.