Unexplained injuries in a nursing home may be sign of abuse or neglect. If your loved one has been injured or died while in the care of a nursing home or assisted living facility, he or she deserves justice.
Our Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys can help you hold the negligent parties responsible for the harm they have caused your loved one. With a strong track record of success, we can help you seek the full amount of compensation your loved one deserves. At Henness & Haight, your initial consultation is always free and without obligation.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
The decision to place a loved one in a nursing home is not an easy one. After researching and choosing a home, you expect your loved one to receive proper and adequate care, as they can no longer care for themselves.
Unfortunately, abuse and neglect are common problems in nursing homes throughout the country. For elderly loved ones who are already in a weakened state, the various forms of abuse that often occur can cause serious physical, emotional and psychological injuries.
Our Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys are experienced at representing cases involving:
- Medication errors – Nursing home staff sometimes overmedicate patients in order to make them more docile. In other cases, residents do not receive the medication they need.
- Physical abuse – This type of abuse includes any physical harm that is done to a resident, including hitting, pushing, kicking or using unnecessary forceful restraint.
- Emotional abuse – This type of abuse includes verbally abusing a resident or embarrassing, threatening, intimidating, humiliating or talking down to a resident.
- Neglect – Abuse can also occur when a facility fails to provide the basic necessities such as food, water and regular bathing.
- Financial abuse – This includes stealing money, tricking a patient into signing away their possessions in a will or contract, or through unauthorized access to bank accounts.
- Sexual abuse – This includes any non-consensual contact with an elderly person.
No matter the nature of the abuse or neglect, this type of behavior should not be tolerated. Our Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys provide compassionate support for our clients, but are aggressive in dealing with insurance companies and those who have caused harm to the elderly.
Signs of Neglect and Abuse
If you have any reason to believe your loved one is not receiving appropriate care from their assisted living facility, you should immediately report the problem and then contact a reputable attorney.
Some common signs of abuse you should be aware of include:
- Bedsores – Decubitus ulcers or bedsores are almost always a sign of neglect. They occur when an immobile patient is not repositioned periodically by nursing home staff.
- Falls and broken bones – A serious fracture can be a life-threatening condition in an elderly person. Sometimes these injuries occur because of negligent conditions or inadequate supervision.
- Malnutrition and dehydration – Since the elderly may have a reduced sense of thirst or hunger, nursing homes should take proactive steps to ensure adequate hydration and nutrition.
- Wandering away from the facility – People with dementia or Alzheimer’s can suffer injuries or death when they are allowed to leave the protected area of the nursing home.
Nursing home staff, visitors or other patients can all contribute to abuse in a nursing home. Our Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys have the skills and experience necessary to investigate these cases and hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions.
Our Las Vegas Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Can Help
When a resident of a nursing home dies or suffers a serious injury, nursing home staff often offer only a vague explanation of what happened. Many injuries are blamed on the patient’s age, and families often do not receive the answers they deserve until a lawyer gets involved.
Our Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys have decades of experience defending the rights of the elderly and ensuring they receive fair compensation for their injuries and suffering. We will:
- Review the history of the home and any previous reports of abuse
- Interview nurses, other residents and witnesses
- Conduct a thorough review of the procedures and practices of the facility to ensure they are following legal regulations
- File a claim with regulatory agencies
At Henness & Haight, we are committed to protecting the rights of the injured and working to ensure they receive the maximum amount of compensation they deserve for their pain and suffering. We place our clients first in everything we do and strive to provide the highest level of legal representation to each and every case we represent.
For a free and confidential consultation with our Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys, contact our offices today. We work only on a contingency fee basis and charge no attorney fees unless we are successful in obtaining compensation for loved one.