Free Consultation
Posted by: Henness & Haight

Before hitting Nevada’s roadways on your motorcycle this summer, you should be familiar with and understand the state’s traffic and safety laws for motorcycle operators and riders.

If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, Henness & Haight’s Nevada motorcycle accident attorney can help your claim to recover the compensation you deserve.

Receiving a Class M Motorcycle License or Endorsement

To legally operate a motorcycle in Nevada, you must have a valid Nevada motorcycle driver’s license or a Class M license belonging to another state.

If you are a new Nevada resident, you must have your motorcycle endorsement transferred to a Nevada motorcycle driver license within 30 days of moving.

All motorcycle operators must have a Class M endorsement on their driver’s license, which can be added to your existing license once you have met the requirements. Motorcycle operators age 18 or older must:

  • Complete an approved motorcycle operator course (passing will excuse you from the written and skills test)
  • Pass the Department of Motor Vehicles written and skills test for motorcycle operators for a $26 fee

Minors under the age of 18 attempting to obtain a Class M endorsement must comply with the additional requirements for teen drivers in Nevada:

  • Show proof of school attendance, excusal or completion
  • Complete a driver’s education course
  • Pass a vision and written knowledge test
  • Receive a learner’s permit
  • Complete 50 hours of experience driving with a licensed driver at least 21 years of age who has held a license for a minimum of one year
  • Pass a driving skills test

Nevada Motorcycle Helmet Laws

All motorcycle operators and passengers in Nevada must wear a helmet, according NRS § 486.231. Protective eyewear and facemasks are also required if the motorcycle does not have a windshield or windscreen installed.

  • On a highway, all motorcycle riders must wear helmets that are securely fastened, as well as protective eyeglasses and face shields (unless a transparent windshield or windscreen is installed on the vehicle).
  • Riders of three-wheeled motorcycles must wear protective eye and face wear unless riding within an enclosed cab.
  • If a motorcyclist is participating in a locally authorized parade, operators and riders are not required to wear protective devices and clothing.

Motorcycle Traffic Laws

All of the same traffic laws that apply to drivers also apply to motorcycle operators and riders in Nevada.

However, in addition to the traffic laws designated for all motorists, there are several traffic laws for motorcycles that apply specifically to operators:

  • You have the right to utilize a complete lane in traffic.
  • You may not ride next to a vehicle in the same lane.
  • You may not pass another vehicle in the same lane.
  • You cannot ride between vehicles traveling alongside one another or stopped vehicles. The only exception is for police officers.
  • Motorcycles cannot ride more than two-wide in one lane, and may only do so with the permission of the other motorcycle operator.
  • A motorcycle cannot carry more than one passenger unless the vehicle is approved for such use by the manufacturer.
  • Passengers must ride astride behind the driver on an attached seat, double seat, or within a sidecar.
  • Handlebars cannot extend above the operator’s shoulders when sitting on the vehicle and one hand must be on the handlebar always.

Motorcycle Equipment Requirements

The equipment that must be installed on every motorcycle in Nevada as outlined under NRS § 486.181-361 includes:

  • One or two headlights
  • A red taillight with a minimum visibility of 500 feet
  • Stop or brake light with a minimum visibility of 300 feet during the day
  • A minimum of one reflector with a visibility of at least 300 feet under low beams
  • Front and rear brakes
  • Front and rear electric turn signals on motorcycles built after January 1, 1973
  • A rearview mirror on each handlebar
  • Front and rear wheel fenders
  • Adjustable footrests for passengers
  • Muffler
  • Horn

Do I Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?

Motorcycle accidents can cause devastating injuries, due to the lack of protection riders have compared to passenger vehicles.

An injury suffered during a Nevada motorcycle accident can result in significant medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.

The Nevada motorcycle accident lawyers of Henness & Haight are knowledgeable in motorcycle law and will work to maximize the compensation recovered on your behalf. Your initial legal consultation is free and comes with no obligation of retaining our firm.

We work on a contingency basis, so there are no legal fees unless we recover compensation for your claim.