Free Consultation
Posted by: Henness & Haight

Many people depend on nursing homes and assisted living facilities throughout Nevada to care for their elderly loved ones and keep them safe.

Unfortunately, the dependence that nursing home residents have on staff members and caregivers of these facilities can leave them vulnerable to acts of abuse and neglect.

If you suspect your elderly loved one is being abused or neglected in a nursing home, you should report the incident immediately. You should then consider contacting the dedicated Las Vegas nursing home abuse attorneys at Henness & Haight to learn more about your loved one’s legal rights. He or she may be entitled to compensation for the pain and suffering he or she has experienced.

Who Can Report Elder Abuse

There are certain officials and medical professionals who are required by law to report any act of abuse they are aware of. These individuals are:

  • Physicians
  • Dentists
  • Medical interns
  • Physician assistants
  • Nurses
  • Therapists
  • Counselors
  • Social workers
  • Emergency medical technicians
  • Case managers
  • Police officers
  • Health aides
  • The executive director of a nursing home
  • The manager of assisted living facility

Although these individuals are required by law to report abuse, anyone who notices any signs of elder abuse in a nursing home should immediately contact the proper authorities and file a report.

If someone is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.

Agencies for Reporting Elder Abuse

If you suspect that your loved one is not receiving the care that he or she needs, you should speak with the health care providers at the facility.

If the conditions do not change or continue to worsen, you should file a report with one of the following Nevada senior advocacy agencies:

Nevada Long Term Care Ombudsman

The Long Term Care Ombudsman Program (LTCOP) serves as an advocate for elderly Nevada citizens residing in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. The LTCOP works to improve the quality of care delivered in the Nevada’s nursing homes and long term care facilities.

Ombudsmen accept and investigate reports of elder abuse in nursing home facilities, inform residents and their families of their rights, advocate for improvements in nursing home care, and work to resolve claims of abuse or neglect.

Nevada Aging and Disability Services Division

In Nevada, the Aging and Disability Services Division (ADSD) is responsible for receiving and investigating reports of abuse and neglect of persons 60 years or older throughout the state.

To report suspected elder abandonment, abuse, neglect, exploitation, isolation and/or nursing home facility complaints, contact the Elder Rights Intake unit. If you live in Las Vegas or within the Clark County area, call (702) 486-6930, or (888) 729-0571 for all other areas of Nevada.

The Elder Protective Services Program of the ADSD uses licensed social workers to investigate, intervene and remedy situations where older people are at risk of elder abuse.

They will:

  • Investigate the reported situations within three working days
  • Assess and evaluate the situation to determine if a crime has been committed against the elderly individual
  • Refer cases in which a crime has been committed to the proper law enforcement for investigation and prosecution if necessary
  • Refer the individual to other assistive services

Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health

The state Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH) works to protect and improve the health of seniors and other residents throughout Nevada. The DPBH provides various clinical and community services to aid elderly people residing in Nevada.

Nevada Office of Attorney General

The Nevada Attorney General accepts and investigates various complaints regarding senior abuse, such as Medicaid fraud, identity theft and other consumer protection issues.

Contact Our Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys

At Henness & Haight, our attorneys are committed to fighting for the rights of those residing in Nevada’s nursing homes.

If you suspect your loved one has been abused or neglected, you should immediately inform the authorities and file a claim. If you believe you need legal representation for your claim, do not hesitate to contact us for a free, no obligation consultation.

We will pursue those who abuse nursing home residents and fight to hold them liable for the pain and suffering they have caused. Our services are provided on a contingency fee basis, which means you only have to pay us if we recover compensation for your claim.