Posted on behalf of Henness & Haight on Aug 29, 2017 in Car Accident News
When a passenger is injured in an automotive accident, he or she has the same right to pursue compensation for his or her injuries as a driver does.
Because Nevada is a fault state when it comes to auto accident liability, if you were harmed as a passenger in a serious auto accident, you may be able to file a claim against all parties found liable for the collision.
Additionally, a passive passenger cannot be found liable for the collision, which could help maximize the compensation he or she can recover from a personal injury claim.
If you were injured in a single-vehicle collision that did not involve any other motorist, you may have the option to sue the driver of the vehicle you were a passenger in.
All drivers have a duty to exercise reasonable care when they are driving to avoid harming others. If the driver acts negligently by speeding or driving distracted and causes an accident, he or she will likely be considered liable for your injury.
However, you must be able to prove the driver’s negligence caused the collision. This factor is important when you are filing a claim with the insurance company to recover compensation for the injury you suffered.
If you were injured as a passenger in an auto accident that involved multiple vehicles, you may be able to file claims against all drivers who were responsible for causing the collision. This may enable you to recover compensation up to the policy for each claim if your injuries require it.
However, if the drivers’ insurance companies deny you coverage, our attorneys may advise you to file a personal injury lawsuit.
In this situation, a court will use the rule of comparative negligence to assign both drivers a percentage of fault that represents each party’s liability for causing the collision.
For example, a court may find the driver of your vehicle is 40 percent at fault for causing the auto accident and the other driver’s level of fault is 60 percent. If your case is valued at $100,000, the driver of your vehicle will be required to pay $40,000 and the other driver will be required to pay $60,000.
Car accident claims that involve multiple drivers can become complicated and will likely result in several insurance companies becoming involved. Insurers and their adjusters may try to affect the outcome of your claim by reducing its value or denying it altogether.
For these reasons, it is important to consult with an attorney who understands how to properly handle this type of complex situation. Your attorney will be able to identify which drivers are liable for your injuries and help ensure your claim is protected from all insurance companies involved.
The Las Vegas auto accident attorneys at Henness & Haight are ready to help you pursue maximum compensation if you were injured as a passenger in another’s vehicle.
We can discuss the possibility of taking legal action against all those who may be liable for your injury during a free, no obligation consultation. We will work to build a case on your behalf and charge you no legal fees for our services. We only require payment if we recover compensation for your claim.
Call 844.613.6275 to speak with an experienced auto accident attorney.