Being in a car accident is often scary and unsettling, whether a minor fender-bender that doesn’t result in any serious injuries or a major crash that leaves you seriously incapacitated. But while all types of car accidents can be emotional, some car accidents result in much greater damages and losses than do others.
At the law offices of Henness & Haight, we know that you have a lot of questions after a crash, especially a serious crash. One of those questions may very well be in regards to whether or not you need legal representation as you navigate the car accident process. If you’re on the fence about hiring an attorney for car accident claim guidance, here’s what you should know–
Signs that You Need an Attorney for Car Accident Claims After a Crash
Whether or not you need a lawyer after a car accident depends on a number of different factors. Here are a few signs that working with a car accident attorney is probably a good idea, and likely something that will improve the outcome of your claim:
- You’ve been seriously injured. If you have been seriously injured in the crash, or if a family member died in the crash, then yes – you should absolutely work with an attorney. This is because the losses that are associated with your claim (e.g. the value of your medical expenses) will likely be very significant. If you don’t work with a lawyer, you may be offered a settlement that is far less than what you deserve, and which fails to compensate you for the full value of your losses.
- Your injuries prevent you from working. Even if your injuries aren’t so severe that you’ll be permanently disabled, if you currently cannot work and are requiring ongoing care because of your injuries related to your car accident, you should call a lawyer. If you’re unable to work, this likely means that you have suffered/are suffering lost wages. You deserve to be compensated for these wages – an attorney can help.
- The fault is undetermined. If fault is undetermined or there were multiple parties involved in the car accident (and therefore multiple potential sources of recovery), call an attorney. Not only will your lawyer be able to advocate for you during the claims process, but an attorney for car accident compensation will also be able to investigate your case and work with experts to get to the bottom of what happened and who should be held liable for damages.
- The other driver doesn’t have insurance. A worst-case scenario for a person who’s been severely injured by the negligence of another driver in the event that the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance or enough insurance to pay for damages. If the driver who hit you is uninsured or underinsured, be sure to consult with a lawyer who can help you to explore other recovery options, including filing a claim against your own insurance or identifying other sources of recovery.
- Your claim has been denied or you have been offered less than you deserve. There is nothing worse than being involved in a serious car accident caused by another party, expecting to be offered a settlement that is fair and just, and then being offered a settlement that is much, much less than you deserve or having your claim denied outright. If either of these things happens to you and you believe that you deserve more compensation, don’t hesitate to call a lawyer who can enter into settlement negotiations on your behalf.
- You’ve found to be partially at fault. If you’re found to be partially at fault for the crash, this could result in a reduction of the value of your claim. As such, you’ll want a lawyer on your side who can help to dispute any claims of fault made against you and maximize your compensation award.
- You’re not sure what to do next. There may be stages of the claims process where you’re just not sure what the next steps are. Perhaps you haven’t heard back from the insurance company for days, or the other driver is refusing to cooperate. Whatever it is, if you are unsure of what to do next but know that time is ticking, working with a lawyer may be the right choice.
Scheduling a Free Consultation Is Always a Good Idea
While it’s true that not all car accident claims demand the help of a lawyer–simple claims that involve few injuries and damages are often straightforward–meeting with an attorney for car accident advice is always a good idea, even if you’re unsure of whether or not you really need a lawyer.
Most good car accident attorneys will offer consultations free of charge, which means that you can meet with the attorney without any out-of-pocket costs and without the obligation of hiring the attorney. During your free consultation, you can share the details of your case with your attorney and get a professional opinion regarding whether or not you need legal counsel moving forward.
If you do need an attorney, then the attorney can start working on your case immediately. If you don’t need an attorney, then you’ll walk away from the consultation losing nothing and gaining peace of mind, and can pursue compensation on your own from there.
Reach Out to an Attorney for Car Accident Claims Help Today
Knowing what to do after a car accident can be confusing. At the law offices of Henness & Haight, we know that you may not know what steps to take or whether or not working with a lawyer is a good idea, or worth your time or money. We offer consultations to all car accident victims free of charge, with no obligation to hire us.
What’s more, we work on a contingency fee basis, which means that there are no upfront costs associated with our legal services and that we only collect a fee if we are successful in getting you a settlement. To learn more about how we can help, please reach out to our law firm today online or by phone to request your first appointment with a lawyer from our firm.